WhatsApp Business API is the easiest way to power your communication with customers. This API allows you to reach customers on WhatsApp in a simple, secure, and reliable way.
- Provide customer service and send notifications on the world’s most popular messaging app.
- Create engaging consumer experiences.
- Have conversations using a lot of different features.
- Quick Replies and Call-to-Action buttons increase engagement and standardize responses.
- Images, audio, and PDFs can be sent and received as media files.
- With outbound Location Messages, you may share locations on a map.
- With the Content API, you can create WhatsApp message templates once and use them across all channels.
Provide dependable and convenient customer service.
- With the Conversations API, you can manage participants, session expiration, and archives without writing any code.
- Using the Conversations SDKs, assist consumers on WhatsApp—and other channels—with a unified view.
- With Ublux product integrations, you can add basic bots, intelligent assistants, and the ability to escalate to agents.
Send out interesting notifications and alerts.
- With the Ublux Programmable Messaging API, you can quickly and easily create WhatsApp messaging.
- From within Ublux, you may create and manage Message Templates with an automated approval status.
- Through Messaging Analytics, get real-time delivery insights with engagement indicators like Read Receipts.
- Built-in Messaging Service capabilities like Advanced Opt-Out and number management help developers save time.
The Basics of WhatsApp’s Business API
The WhatsApp API is intended for medium- to large-sized businesses that want to use WhatsApp with multiple users. It’s more complicated than WhatsApp Business App because it does not have an app or a front-end interface and must be linked to commercial software.
Businesses who want to connect to the WhatsApp API should use Business Solution Providers, which are third-party services.
Pricing for the WhatsApp API
To summarize, in order to obtain a WhatsApp API account, you must first register with a BSP. BSPs pay WhatsApp to connect to their API so that they may provide the service to end-users as middlemen. BSPs pass on these costs to enterprises, sometimes with a profit margin.
Many BSPs charge companies on a per-message basis under the notification-based pricing model. WhatsApp will convert to a conversation-based pricing model in February 2022, in which businesses will be charged per conversation. Examine each component of a WhatsApp API account in further detail now.
Components of the WhatsApp Business API
This section covers the WhatsApp API components, such as the WhatsApp Business Profile and phone number.
Business Profile: WhatsApp API for Business
Customers can learn more about your business by seeing your WhatsApp API Business Profile. By upgrading their cover photo, description, address, email, and website, businesses can improve their accounts.
The WhatsApp API Business profile will not be searchable on the app, unlike other messaging apps. Let’s look at how a WhatsApp API phone number works in the next part.
WhatsApp Business API: Phone Number
Your WhatsApp API account must be linked to a phone number. You can either acquire a phone number or port an existing one, depending on your BSP. Remember that the phone number associated with the WhatsApp API must be capable of receiving calls or SMS.
We suggest choosing a phone number that isn’t already associated with another App account. It is feasible to migrate a phone number from the App to the API, however returning from the API to the App is not recommended because you will lose account information linked with the phone number.
A WABA, which is administered using Facebook Business Manager, is where a phone number lives. You can also manage additional Facebook assets in Facebook Business Manager. Depending on the phone number tier, each WABA can have up to 25 numbers.
Tiers of Phone Numbers and Messaging Limits
Your messaging limit – the number of Contacts an account can message – is determined by the phone number tier of your WhatsApp API account. A phone number inside a WABA can reach five layers, including:
Unverified Trial Tier: Send messages to 50 different contacts in a 24-hour period and have up to two phone numbers.
- 1: Send messages to 1,000 unique contacts in a 24-hour period, including up to 25 phone numbers.
- 2: In a 24-hour period, send messages to 10,000 unique contacts.
- 3: In a 24-hour period, send messages to 100K unique contacts.
- 4: Send messages to a limitless number of unique contacts throughout the course of a 24-hour period.
Please keep in mind that the messaging restrictions only apply to business-to-business messages known as Message Templates, which we’ll go over in more depth later. Businesses will either start at the Unverified Trial Tier or Tier 1 depending on the BSP when they register their phone number.
You must authenticate your Facebook Business Account to go from the Unverified Trial Tier to the next tier. Businesses in Tiers 1, 2, and 3 will be advanced to the next tier when they meet their current tier’s messaging limit, assuming they have a good quality rating and are not flagged.
Rating and Status of Phone Numbers
Customer satisfaction with the conversation quality of your business is shown by the phone number quality rating and status. These valuable insights can be found in the Facebook Business Manager.
A number of criteria combine to produce the quality rating. Customers’ blockages, the frequency of outgoing messages such as notifications or promotional messages, and the response time are all factors to consider. There are three levels of quality:
- Very high (green)
- Medium-sized (yellow)
- Low-cost (red)
Sending only high-quality messages that are relevant to your Contacts will help you maintain a good quality rating and prevent having your phone number blacklisted. Your phone number’s quality rating will decline from High to Medium or Low if it is blocked.
A change in quality rating may have an impact on the status of your phone number. There are five different statuses to choose from:
Before the Commerce Policy check is completed, the status is pending.
- Offline: When a business fails the Commerce policy check or has their WhatsApp API account canceled, this is the status.
- Connected: The default condition
- Flagged: When the quality rating falls below a certain threshold, the classification becomes Low. The status will return to Connected if it improves to Medium or High in 7 days. If it doesn’t, WhatsApp will restore your Connected status but lower your number’s messaging capacity.
- Restricted: When a company’s communications limit is reached while its quality rating is low.
Getting a WhatsApp API Account Verified
With a visible business name in the profile, a verified WhatsApp API account gives credibility to your company and makes it more identifiable. You can seek WhatsApp API verification through Facebook Business Manager or your chosen BSPs.
Messaging API for WhatsApp Business
We’ll go over the two sorts of messages allowed by the WhatsApp API in this section: Session Messages and Message Templates.
Session Messaging is a feature of the WhatsApp API for Business.
Businesses using the WhatsApp API are not permitted to send messages at any time. WhatsApp implements a messaging constraint known as Session Messaging to avoid spam and guarantee companies respond to incoming messages swiftly.
Session Messaging allows you to respond to communications from contacts within a 24-hour time frame. Session Messages can no longer be sent once the 24-hour window has closed. Before sending a Session Message, no prior approval is required as long as it follows the WhatsApp Business and WhatsApp Commerce Policies.
Let’s go over the different sorts of Interactive Session Messages now that you know how Session Messaging works.
Session Messaging with WhatsApp API: Interactive Session Messages
You can send Interactive Session Messages using WhatsApp API in addition to text Session Messages. Interactive Session Messages have a user-friendly format that makes it easier for clients to identify and select what they want from your company.
Template Messaging using WhatsApp API for Business
Businesses can only respond using Message Templates after 24 hours after the contact’s last incoming message. Pre-approved messages are used to reopen the 24-hour Messaging Window or start a new conversation using Message Templates.
WhatsApp API provides Multimedia and Interactive Message Templates in addition to basic Message Templates. The former allows you to attach call-to-action or rapid reply buttons, while the latter allows you to attach photos, videos, or PDF documents.
The BSP’s Console or WhatsApp API are the two primary ways to generate a WhatsApp Message Template. Remember that WhatsApp may reject Message Templates for a variety of reasons. Take a look at these best practices to increase the chances of your submission being approved.
Businesses were formerly prohibited from sending non-transactional Message Templates. Since September 2021, however, WhatsApp has made non-transactional Message Templates available internationally.
However, you should not send Message Templates too frequently, otherwise your consumers may consider them spam. This may have an impact on the rating and status of your Template.
A Message Template’s status can be affected by a decline in its quality rating. Message Templates have five different statuses:
- Pending: When a company submits a template that hasn’t been accepted yet.
- Approved: As soon as the Message Template has been approved,
- Rejected: When a Message Template is Disqualified
- Flagged: When the quality rating falls below a certain level, it is referred to as a “low” rating.
When a Message Template is flagged and the quality rating does not improve within seven days, the status is changed to Disabled. A Disabled Message Template cannot be sent or edited.
You will receive an email notification when the status of your Template changes to Flagged or Disabled. Make sure you only deliver Message Templates to customers who have opted in to avoid having your Message Template disabled.